Here at Eighty Seven, we champion quality over quantity; sustainability over fast fashion and individuality over following the crowd. Whether you are seeking more environmentally friendly brands, better quality fabrics or outfits that feel more 'you', creating a summer capsule wardrobe will ensure you have special pieces that make you feel great year on year.
What is a capsule wardrobe?A capsule wardrobe is a collection of wardrobe staples that work together to create different outfits. When building this collection of wardrobe staples it’s a good idea to invest in quantity items of clothing you love. When weighing up an addition to your wardrobe consider:
- How does this fit in with my lifestyle?
- How many things will this go with?
- Can I style this for everyday as well as dress it up?
- What is the price per wear?
- On a scale of 1-10 how amazing does this make me feel?
When it comes to deciding how many pieces to include in your summer capsule wardrobe of dreams, advice ranges from 25 - 50 items. That may sound daunting, but a true capsule is built over time with considered purchases.
How to build a capsule wardrobe?
Are you an emotional buyer? Do you go shopping to lift your mood or is every purchase a considered one? Many of us are guilty of having impulse purchases that we never wear in our wardrobe, similarly you may be holding onto clothing that no longer fits or suits your style.
It's a good idea to build two key capsule wardrobes; one for Autumn/ Winter and one for Spring/ Summer. Today we will be looking at some inspiration for the latter, but the same principles apply.
12 Steps to Creating your Summer Capsule Wardrobe
- The first step to building a capsule wardrobe is to review what you have and don't wear. This will help you identify what items you really need such as some 'go with everything sandals' or a great quality plain white t-shirt to wear with skirts, shorts and jeans.
- Dig out your entire summer wardrobe, including accessories, jewellery and footwear
- Pick out any favourite pieces you know you want to keep
- Mix and match different items to see how many things work together
- Set aside a 'To Go' pile, which can be distributed amongst friends, given to charity or sold on an auction site
- Be ruthless - if you didn't wear it last Summer, the chances are you won't ever wear it
- Consider what outfits you enjoy wearing the most over the Summer
- Factor in your lifestyle - Do you work in an office? Do you like to meet up with friends a lot in the evening? Do you attend smart events? Do you have any holidays planned? etc
- Have a scroll through Pinterest for Summer Outfit inspiration
- Make a Wishlist of items you would like to gradually add to your Summer Capsule Wardrobe
- Be realistic - if you tend to wear shorts and tee most days, don't invest in 5 Summer Dresses
- Don't rush - those special pieces can take time to find, don't compromise on fit or fabric composition, hold out for those 'I LOVE IT' moments
Shop 87 Summer Wardrobe Staples
Lemon Statement Collar Vest // Statement Silky Wide Leg Print Trousers // White Print Summer Dress // Organic Slider Sandals // Natural Fibre Shopping Bag // Classic White Shirt // Linen Shorts // Nude Leopard Print Wrap Midi Dress // Blue Tortoise Shell Round Sunglasses // Decadent Blue Print Hairband // Vintage Skinny Jeans // Yellow Tie Dye Sweater // Floral Midi Skirt // Printed 'Throw Everything In' Bag // Black Floral Kimono Jacket // Classic White Leather Sneakers // Navy Logo Tee // Pink Lace Trimmed Camisole Vest // Neon & Blue Clutch Bag // Tortoise Square Hoop Earrings // White Linen V-Neck Tee // Gold Bumblebee Necklace // Metallic Belt // Peach Parfait Shimmer T-Shirt // White Wide Leg Jeans // Pink UV Lightweight Jumper // Linen Blend Check Blazer
Mix & Match to Create Outfits
Good luck building your Summer Capsule Wardrobe and remember - enjoy the journey!